Thursday, September 20, 2012

Barfi, one for all.

 Barfi is like a warm after taste. It re-invented my forgotten love for Priyanka, created respect for Ileana and almost created a fan for Ranbir. (Not yet, my boy). It is a pleasant surprise for the absolutely beaten-up almost hope-lost cinema fan. I have not watched Raaz or Ek Tha Tiger yet but hear this one is the best. I am not even taking up tamil films. Sigh.

Just like a real Barfi, this one too has many tastes and shades.

The Coconut Barfi – Imagine a barfi with fresh coconut. The movie’s visuals are fresh, striking and the sweetness lingers to an underwhelming aftertaste.  Like the delicious crunch of a coconut barfi, the movie is full of freshness. The camera takes you on the Darjeeling train tracks, not necessarily on the train (you will know when you watch) and shifts to streets, sounds and lights of Kolkatta. In between, there are so many postcard spots that you fail to capture them all with eyes.  Like a good coconut barfi, the movie is to be savored slowly.  The film jumps across years and generations with perfect bits of moments and a treat of landscape. Pop in some good music, take your plate, lean back and be lost on how good the heart feels with every bite.

The Milk Barfi – Predictability is endearing in Barfi. Like, in a milk barfi. An Indian film bred knows what is going to happen almost in every stage of the film. The how it happens though take you by surprise. Be it the ultra cute demeanor in which Priyanka wraps finger with Ranbir. Be it the adorable antic of Ranbir to move the tower clock by a quarter hour. Be it the melodramatic entrance of Ileana in second half as Mrs. Sengupta. The movie is a surprise. And all this is served slow on a platter with accompanying brilliant music in background. Quite literally, you will know what I mean when you watch the movie.  The milk barfi does get a tad too sweet and pointless images start falling in the screen along with well-seen clichés. But there will be no complaints when you watch it all for you are either basking in its warmth or nodding in adoration. The pace of the movie moves like a little toy train on the roads of Darjeeling.

The Kaju Barfi – The Kaju Barfi is the star cast. The cast is rich, gusty and look elegant. They are all young, fresh, throbbing to do things and have been given excellent fodder. Ileana has had a dream debut and looks pretty in Bengal cotton saris and red bindis. (my fascination for cotton saris intensified 10x). If it is to me, I would have gladly named the film Jhilmill ( her screen name). She is the surprise package and has not looked this good ever. Her demeanor, mannerism, non-caked look , the buckle teeth, white skirts and sunshine makes the movie. Ranbir is the show stealer with his antics, mannerisms that remind you of Kamal Hassan, Charlie Chaplin, Mr. Bean and many others but is so fresh and has the most charming looks ever.  If you have seen Kamal’s 16 vayathinile and sridevi in Moondram Pirai (Sadma); you are likely to catch similarities.

This movie has brilliant actors, absolutely fabulous cinematographer, aaha-ooho music, the gorgeous Darjeeling and Priyanka Chopra. I rarely enjoy films enough to write on it. Barfi is perfectly garnished, adequately sweet and leaves you in a high (calories and likes). Go, watch the film. Don’t forget your packet of kadalai barfis along. The film is that delicious.

There is an evil critic who sits inside me. She found this out of part boredom, and part curiousness. Barfi - where was it inspired from? The link contains spoilers.

Note : I know this is not a good film review. I suck at reviews. Please be considerate with me for all the sweets I have given you. I realize I am certainly smitten by Darjeeling. Not, not yet by Ranbir.

23 comments:

  1. :-) have been hearing all positive reviews..hope to catch it soon..
    an interesting review with parallels drawn by different kinds of barfis..:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A weekend has gone by. Did you watch?! I was bored, hence this piece.

      Delete
  2. The movie was everything you found and more! But didn't you feel that it faltered just a tiny bit after the interval. That they over-complicated a simple plot with the multiple abductions. Anyway, they brought it all together in the end and it's such a beautiful movie that all can be forgiven. :)

    I did figure out 'The Notebook' copied scenes but I thought they were the only ones! Hmmm... Oh well, still forgiven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and now I want to eat Kaju barfi! :P

      Delete
    2. Yes yes, and I felt the screen play went for a toss with the multi year thing. Yet, felt it was very sweet to watch! I figured Notebook too :) Did you eat kaju??!

      Delete
  3. creatively crafted sweet post. Hope to catch this weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) you are generous! I was pretty sure it sounded weird. Sweet, thanks :)

      Delete
  4. hahaha! I loved the review..seriously...the only problem, Now I want that coconut burfi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why does everyone want burfis?! Sigh, *nibbles on her kadalai burfi and wonders*. Did you watch the movie, RM?

      Delete
  5. I love the review. I too would gladly name the film Jhilmil, she played it perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, great people really think alike. She was too cute, no?First time here?! Welcome :)

      Delete
  6. Been hearing such good things about this movie. Must watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you?! you will find it very sweet and will love it!

      Delete
  7. A very different review! Enjoyed it! Am lookign forward to the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, i mean the review. Did you like the movie?

      Delete
  8. Running for the movie this weekend-mostly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe..and I read how it turned out :( No probs, go next week. Yes, Yes, I have this love affair where I suck at being cool in one. I generally act like an chimp when I sport one.

      Delete
  9. Ah, about sarees!! One day the cotton one and Bindi I will flaunt!! As of now I cant even walk in the awesome attire :'(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your take on this movie.... I am not tempted coz I have a sweet tooth ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Arey, how are you not tempted if you have a sweet tooth?! Thanks :)

      Delete
  11. Archana,....Well written review for a movie by comparing it sweets....More than the film, I liked your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *surprised* to see you here! Did not know you had a blog! Thanks, Sudhar!

      Delete

I love your comments. Say it out, don't be shy!